Music Books and Multi-media CDs and DVds
By Roger Lee Hall
- A Western Shaker Music Sampler (1976)- 12 Shaker spirituals from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana Cleveland, Ohio: The Western Reserve Historical Society. [out-of-print]
- The Happy Journey (1982) - Edited collection of 35 Shaker spirituals compiled by Clara Endicott Sears. Harvard, Massachusetts: Fruitlands Museums. [out-of-print]
- E.A. Jones: His Life and Music - With a catalogue of his musical works (1984) - The life and music of Stoughton's most accomplished musician and composer. Stoughton, Massachusetts: Old Stoughton Musical Society. [out-of-print]
- Singing Stoughton: Selected Highlights from America's Oldest Choral Society (1985) - A brief history of the Stoughton Musical Society from 1774 to 1985. Stoughton: Old Stoughton Musical Society. [out of print]
- + Music in Stoughton: A Brief Survey (1989)- booklet listing the 25 most significant music events in town between 1762 and 1987. Includes an anti-war song, "Peace," set to a text by Stoughton teenager, Esther Talbot in 1814 and set to music by Roger Hall in 1981.
- + The Stoughton Songster (1991) - 10 songs performed between 1980 and 1990. Also audio tape of all the songs, and other music by Stoughton composers. Funded, in part, by the Massachusetts Arts Council. Free copies were distributed to the Stoughton public schools.
- + Love is Little: A Sampling of Shaker Spirituals (1992/2nd edition, 1996) - a songbook of 36 Shaker spirituals from all 18 major Shaker communities. Notes and bibliography. Holland,Michigan: The World of Shaker. CD and Tape on Sampler Records, Rochester, New York, 1992. 2nd edition of the songbook published by Sampler Records in 1996.
- + Joy of Angels: Shaker Spirituals for Christmas and the New Year (1995) - a songbook of 38 Shaker spirituals. Introduction and Notes about Shaker Christmas music. CD and Tape from Sampler Records.
- + Music in Early Canton: Historical Notes and Music (1997)with several early American tunes and highlights about music by local composers and the Stoughton Musical Society. Stoughton: PineTree Press.
- + New England Songster (1997) - 18 songs written between 1768 and 1988, with CDR containing all the music. PineTree Press.
- + Ten Town Tunes: Music from Stoughton (1998) - music by Stoughton composers from 1770 to 1990. PineTree Press.
- + MAJESTY: Being a Discussion of Facts and Fiction about William Billings and The Stoughton Musical Society (2000) - Genealogy of the Billings family and information about William Billings and his influence on the Stoughton Musical Society. Includes several Billings tunes and music by Roger Hall set to texts published by William Billings. Compiled for the bicentennial of the death of William Billings (1746-1800). Also available is the CD: "The Best of William Billings." PineTree Press.
- + Celebrate, Rejoice and Sing! A Guide to Christmas Music in America
(2003) - a chronology, sample of early American Christmas carols, 25 most popular Christmas songs, bibliography and discography. PineTree Press.
- + A Guide to George Gershwin (1998/ 2004) - essays, extensive bibliography and discography. PineTree Press.
- "Come Life, Shaker Life" - The Life and Music of Elder Issachar Bates (2004) - based on his autobiography completed in 1836 and including eight of his Shaker spirituals, with extensive notes and recommended recordings. PineTree Press.
- + Remembering Radio - Great Songwriters and Singers (1998/2005) - music featured on radio between 1923 and 1956, list of 50 radio shows, a sample radio script, radio highlights from 1985 to 1995. PineTree Press.
- "The Best Choice" - A Sampling of American Communal Hymns (2004/ 2006) - Nine rare communal hymns from communities in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, New York, and Massachusetts, plus a checklist of printed communal hymnals between 1730 and 1855. PineTree Press.
- +A Guide to Shaker Music - With Music Supplement (editions: 1996/ 1997/ 1999/ 2001/ 2002/ 2006) - 15 Shaker text and tune arrangements are found in the Music Supplement. PineTree Press.
- How Happy Are They: Twelve Shaker Spirituals from Kentucky and Ohio (2007) - includes background notes and sources. PineTreeMusic.
- ++ "Following the Stars" - Music and Memories of Hopalong Cassidy
(2005/2009/ 2010) - an illustrated multimedia book featuring a remembrance of meeting Hopalong Cassidy and being photographed for a Look magazine cover in 1950. Also chapters devoted to music in the Hopalong Cassidy westerns, and several Hopalong Cassidy Festivals in Cambridge, Ohio. Also includes music files of songs about Hopalong Cassidy. PineTree Press, PTM 1013.
- ++ "Lincoln and Liberty" - Music from Abraham Lincoln's Era (2009) - Listener's Guide with all the lyrics and additional information for the 24 audio files, plus a bibliography and discography of music of Abraham Lincoln's era. Also original sheet music illustrations, Lincoln portrait gallery and other documents. PineTree Press.
Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1009.
- ++Gentle Words: Shaker Music in the 20th Century (2009/2011) - includes interviews with several Shaker sisters and a timeline of important events during the 20th century, plus the lyrics to 25 representative Shaker spirituals. PineTree Press. Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1019.
- ++ "Free As The Breeze" - Confessions of a Struggling Songwriter (2007/ 2012) - about the early pop song career of Roger Lee Hall, including the years of listening and learning and the frustrations of a songwriting career during the 1960s. Multimedia Pop Song Series, PTM 1006.
- ++A Guide to Film Music - Songs and Scores, 1st edition, 1997/ 2nd edition, 2002/ 3rd edition, 2007/4th edition, 2009/ 5th edition, 2012 - a chronology and commentary from film composers, bibliography, discography, autographs of film composers and songwriters. audio clips, video program. PineTree Press. Multimedia Film Music Series, PTM 1012.
- ++ "Shake, Rattle and Roll" - Electric Elvis and Bill Randle (2010/ 2012) - discussion of the early singing career of Elvis Presley and Cleveland disc jockey and promoter, Bill Randle, with picture galleries and audio files.
Multimedia Pop Song Series, PTM 1010.
- ++The Story of 'Simple Gifts' - Joseph Brackett's Shaker Dance Song (2006/ 2009/ 2010) - with background on Elder Joseph Brackett, original words and music for "Simple Gifts," and an exclusive interview with Aaron Copland about his arrangements of the Shaker dance song. Includes audio files with Shaker songs and hymns and a short video of a concert performance of "Simple Gifts."
PineTree Press. Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1020.
- ++ "Land of Our Hearts" - A New England Music Miscellany (2010) - sections for New England music from the 17th to 20th centuries, including composers, Shaker music, and Singing Stoughton. Bonus features: audio files and one hour video. PineTree Press.
Multimedia Heritasge Music Series, PTM 1007.
- ++ "Angel of Peace" - The Boston Peace Jubilees (2010) - rare documents and concert programs from the Peace Jubilees in 1869, 1872 and 1889. PineTree Press.
Multimedia Heritage MusicSeries, PTM 1016.
- ++ "Dream World" - Songs, Poems and Stories by Roger Hall (2006/ 2011) - song lyrics, poems and stories about his early life and music career. Multimedia Pop Song Series, PTM 1005.
- ++ "How Beautiful Upon The Mountains" - Music by E.A. Jones (2011) -
about the life and music of an unjustly neglected 19th century American composer. PineTree Press.
Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1017.
- ++Film Music Master - A Tribute To Bernard Herrmann (2011) -
CD reviews, music and video files about highly respected past film composer. Multimedia Film Music Series, PTM 1018.
- ++ The Musical Telephone - A Romantic Narrative (2011) -
based on passages from Edward B ellamy's utopian novel, Looking Backward . Multimedia Film Music Series, PTM 1021.
- ++Blended Together - Discoveries Along The Shaker Music Trail (2011) - summary of 40 years of Shaker music research with music album of interviews with the Shakers . Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1022.
- ++"Glory, Hallelujah" - Civil War Songs and Hymns (2012) -
music album and Word documents plus gallery of Civil War sheet music. Multimedia Heritage Music Series, PTM 1025.
- ++"Peace-Lovin' Blues - Survival Songs (2012) - personal memoir with music examples and image gallery. Multimedia Pop Song Series, PTM 1023.
- ++Singing in Earlier America - From The Pilgrims to The Shakers (2012) - PTM 1026.
- ++ Memories of EMA and OHEKA (2012) - with stories, image galleries and music,
- ++ "OLD STOUGHTON" - Singing Meetings and Concerts, 1762-1962 (2012) - including music and a one hour video, PTM 1028.
- "May We Ever Be United" - Music of the North Union, Ohio Shakers (2012) - including a timeline, and checklist of North Union tunes, and 15 Shaker spirituals, PTM 1029.
- ++ A Shaker Music Miscellany (2012) - Deluxe DVD with 10 music books and collections, PTM 1030.
without accompanying CD or DVD = 8
+ = with accompanying CD = 12
++= multimedia CD or DVD = 22
Total publications = 42
To inquire about any of the above publications, write to:
American Music Recordings Archive
Essential American Recordings Survey
Music Lectures and Workshops
PineTree Multimedia Productions
Help support the mission of this website
Use this handy Search Box for your purchases...