"New Bethlehem" -
Christmas Music in New England
(AMRC CD 0010)
This CD contains 24 carols, hymns and songs, composed or arranged by New England composers between the 18th and 20th centuries, including popular carols like "Joy to the World" and "Away in a Manger," and the winter song, "Jingle Bells" (originally titled: "The One Horse Open Sleigh").
Among the prominent New England composers are: William Billings (Boston composer known as "Father of American Choral Music"), Lowell Mason (famous hymnwriter and educator), and Charles Ives (Connecticut composer known especially for his Yankee individualist music).
Also featured is the original New England translation of the Austrian carol, "Silent Night."
The CD title, "New Bethlehem," was composed by Edward French, 1761-1845, and one of his few compositions. He was President of the Stoughton Musical Society in Massachusetts from 1818 to 1824, and his brother, Jacob French, was also a composer born in Stoughton.
The Christmas carols, hymns and songs are performed by various artists, including several church choirs and singers from the Old Stoughton Musical Society, America's oldest choral society, founded in 1786. One of the soloists on the CD is the late Sally MacKerron from Stoughton and another soloist is Larre Nelson from Attleboro.
Included on the album are 8 carols and hymns by Stoughton composer, Roger Hall. Back in 1992 he was a guest on a Christmas Eve radio program and highlights are on this CD.
Album Titles (click links for streaming samples):
I. Christmas Music From Early New England
1. Judea -- William Billings, Boston, Massachusetts, 1778
2. Sherburne -- Daniel Read, New Haven, Connecticut, 1785
3. Carol -- Supply Belcher, Stoughton, Massachusetts & Farmington, Maine, 1794
4. Joy to the World -- Lowell Mason, Medfield and Boston, 1848
5. +Christmas Chorale -- George Whitefield Chadwick, Boston, 1909
II. Church Choir Rehearsal, North Easton, Massachusetts (December, 1979)
6. +Leaping and Dancing (20th century folk carol) -- arr. by Roger Hall
7. +Rise Up, Shepherds (19th century Negro folk carol) --
arr. by Roger Hall
8. +Natal Night -- words: Sister Grace Ada Brown, 1902/music by Roger Hall
9. +Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (18th century) - Bartholomew Brown, arr. by Roger Hall
III. Christmas Concert in Stoughton, Massachusetts (December, 1982)
10. Away in a Manger (2 versions):
a. William J. Kirkpatrick,1895/
11. A Christmas Carol -- Charles E. Ives, 1894
12. Silent Night (original Austrian version; translation by Rev. John Freeman Young, ca. 1859)
IV. Christmas Eve Service, Attleboro, Massachusetts (1978-1979)
13. +O Come, O Come Emmanuel -- arranged by Roger Hall
14. +Prepare The Royal Highway (Swedish and English) --
arranged by Roger Hall
15. +He Whom Shepherds Once Came Praising - arranged by Roger Hall
V. Christmas Eve Radio Program, Brockton, Massachusetts (1992)
16.Jingle Bells (or The One Horse Open Sleigh)-- James Pierpont, 1859/ Regina music box
17. CONVERSATIONS (WBET-AM, 1987) - guest: Roger Hall
18. Jingle Bells -- Bing Crosby on 1943 radio program
19. CONVERSATIONS (continued) - guest: Roger Hall
20. +Hail To The Joyous Day --words: Royall Tyler, 1793/
music: Roger Hall,1977
21. +A Christmas Song -- words: John Greenleaf Whittier/
Roger Hall, 1988
(excerpt from the play: "The Musical Telephone")
22. A Christmas Carol -- words and music: Charles Ives, 1894
23. O Little Town Of Bethlehem -- words: Rev. Phillips Brooks/ music: Lewis Redner, 1868
sung by Frank Sinatra on 1940s radio program
VI. Early New England Christmas Carol
24. New Bethlehem -- words and music: Edward French, 1799
+ = Premiere Recording
This festive CD (AMRC 0010) is available exclusively from this website
available for $19.95 (USA orders) or $25.95 (Overseas Air Mail),
including all packing and shipping.
Orderby credit card by speciifc donation
to help supoort this educational website,
and payable to PineTree Productions,
through safe and secure PayPal.
The CD is available in mp3
Shipping is included on all orders.
click on this button to:
After you have made your donation,
to insure proper delivery,
please mention this CD title
send your mailing address to:
Christmas Music in New England CD
Other related CDs available
CD: "Hail to the Joyous day!"
Christmas Music in America
CD: "Auld Lang Syne"
American Holiday Songs and Carols
CD: "Creator God" - Hymns and Spirituals
For any questions or comments - Click Here